I started making my own sugar scrub a couple of years ago at work when I had a pedicure scheduled but had completely run out of scrub. Let’s be honest… I’m sure I procrastinated buying more until I was like oh shit… me needs scrub now, panic mode activating… 3, 2, 1, go.
Then I remembered, oh duh… I’ve been getting ripped off by fancy-smancy scrubs for the past, oh maybe, EIGHT years because I’m too lazy to make my own.
Well, ain’t that funny… I was FORCED to saved money by making my own scrub. A quick run to the dollar store and about 5 minutes and I was all stocked up.
So the deets on this scrub…
It’s easy to make.
Yeah, that’s about it.
What You Need
- Sugar (I usually just use plain pure cane granulated)
- Coconut Oil
- Essential oil of your choice (optional)
- Mason jar with lid or another sealable container. I bought a 4-pack of these guys pictured for around $5 at Wal-Mart.
- Microwave 1 Cup of coconut oil for 45 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl. Coconut oil should be liquid once microwaved.
- Add 2 Cups of sugar to the coconut oil and stir.
- If a scent is desired, add several drops (depending on how strong of a scent you want) of any essential oil to the mixture and stir. Lemon and lavender essential oils are my favorite. I used Thieves in the scrub pictured because it reminds me of an autumn scent and between last week and this week I’ve suddenly decided I’ll be ok with autumn starting up.
- Put the scrub in a mason jar (or another container) and seal shut.
And that’s it! You could be super snazzy and decorate the jar or make a cute little label to give it a little extra summin summin. I just snagged some wildflowers out of my garden because that took 2.5 seconds and actually make these pictures look worthwhile. These will make great gifts for friends and family when the holidays roll around.
If you’ve got good recommendations for either scrub recipes or essential oils to put in a scrub… lemme know! I’m all about the feels-good stuff!